Tuesday, May 24, 2011

All-Decade team thoughts

You probably saw on the team's website or in today's O-R that the Wild Things have released the results of the online voting for their All-Decade team. If you missed the story, here are the results:

Manager: John Masserelli
Left-handed starting pitcher: Jared Howton
Right-handed starting pitcher: Ryan Douglass
Relief pitcher: Jim Popp
Catcher: Josh Loggins
First baseman: Zach Cates
Second baseman: Michael Parker
Shortstop: John Cahill
Third baseman: Jason Kane
Outfielder: Mike Arbinger
Outfielder: Chris Carter
Outfielder: Chris Sidick
Designated hitter: Jacob Dempsey

My initial reaction was, how do you have an all-decade team when you've played only nine seasons? I guess what happens this year doesn't count. That's why I'll put together my Wild Things All-Decade team at the end of the season and include a full 24-player roster (so I won't tip my hand on my selections in this post). I also would have had Josh Loggins listed as an outfielder because he played a few more games there than at catcher during his two-year stay in Washington. Having him at catcher kept off a player who I think should have been on the team.

As for the results, the voters did a decent job. There is one glaring mistake (think pitcher) and one other position in which I thought there was a clear-cut choice (think an infield position) but that player didn't win the voting.

There were four other spots in which my pick didn't win the voting, but three of those were at positions for which you could make a strong case for the winner. There is one position (again, an infield position) that had a winner I didn't include in my top three picks.

The results show that fans weighed having played multiple seasons in Washington more heavily than having played one good season. That was something I struggled with when making my picks.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of these selections the only one that I question is Michael Parker
. I've seen him make some really good defensive plays but not know what to do when he has a choice of where to throw the ball when men are on base. In other words, he does not seem to have studied the game too much. What are your thoughts on this, anybody care to comment?

I, also hope Tim throws out the first pitch, I'm also hoping that his big fat a-- is a target for a 12 million volt lighting bolt!

May 24, 2011 at 9:34 AM  
Anonymous Natural Grass said...

Chris"
The reason they don't count this year on the all decade team is because the first nine years were played on a baseball field and this year is on a carpet.
PS:
Ron, please come out of retirement.

May 24, 2011 at 11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

IF there is a game tonight it will be the most disgusting night in the history of the Wild Things.
A bunch of equally disgusting lawyers, and their political cronies, have successfully extracted from taxpayers wallets, the money for that carpet. Only attorneys are the sort of people that can get away with this sort of manure. Why don’t these miserable excuses for human beings just put a freakin’ gun to our heads and get it overwith! I hope it rains so hard that the entire home series is rained out.
Tomorrow the Wild Things will again screw the season ticket holders by playing a game at 11:05AM.
What’s next Wild Things? Maybe a 5:35AM game so we can all get to work on time?

May 24, 2011 at 1:16 PM  
Anonymous Natural Grass said...

Some observations from tonight game.
1.The taco salad is good and also a good buy at $5.50
2.The water fountains were turned off and bottled water at $3/bottle is not a good buy.
3.Every time a ball bounced on the green taxpayer turf, there was a cloud of dust. I did not observe this cloud on the brown taxpayer turf.
4.Sliding on the brown taxpayer turf is a challenge. Just think what is will be like when the taxpayer turf is wet.
5.The brown taxpayer turf looks like used coffee grounds.
6.Leo's sister is the all decade ticket taker.
7.Don Burt is the all decade usher.
8.Bill DeFabio is the all decade announcer.
9.Bob Wagner is the all decade scoreboard operator.
10.I know the names of more of the Pirate players than the Wild Things. Chris Sidick and who else.
11.No player names on the uniforms.
12.Jamal would be happy with the make-up of the team this year.

And the most exciting event of the evening was that I got to meet Ron Wilson. Ron, please come out of retirement.

May 24, 2011 at 7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok Natural Grass but just for this one post.
Went to the Wild Things game last night. I have dreaded even looking at the new playing surface for months. However, before even looking at the damn thing I was VERY pleasantly surprised at the many improvements that were made since the end of last season.
No matter what I think about the damn turf, I must admit that the ‘new’ CEP is indeed a really nice facility.
Credit is due to Steve Zavacky and Wayne Herrod, and others, for their hard work during the off season. Thanks guy’s for a job well done. I really like the results. The new “Cage” is especially note worthy. It is now a pleasant place to browse and not so crowded. I have been quick in the past to criticize the Wild Things. To be fair, I feel it is only right to acknowledge the things they have done right (at least IMHO). With but one exception, all the new changes are great. Now, if only that damn turf hadn’t been put down, CEP would almost be paradise. Oh well, I can’t have everything. I’ll still enjoy the games.
The turf is so weird that I saw a player hit a single last night that bounced near second base. I almost crapped my knickers when I saw that black stuff spray – I thought for just a second, that he had struck oil!
BTW: Natural Grass, I could NOT agree with you more on your points #6 and #7
Back into retirement. I can also be reached in my foxhole.
Again, Steve and Wayne, great job! I’m sorry that, in the past, I haven’t appreciated your work as much as I should have.
Ron Wilson

May 24, 2011 at 8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious post by Ron Wilson. Sarcasm is a powerful tool. I partially agree with him though. Wayne is great.

May 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jamal would be happy with the make-up of the team this year.


What is that supposed to mean? Is racism raising it's ugly head?

May 25, 2011 at 1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

May 25, 2011 at 2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home