Saturday, May 14, 2011

Trimming the roster

Before leaving for tonight's exhibition game at Lake Erie, the Wild Things made three roster moves, releasing rookie shortstop Gerardo Caceres, rookie first baseman Jake Summers and utility player Wilson Matos, who was with the team last season. Caceres was the Wild Things' first pick in the Frontier League draft last week.

With the league changing its player eligibility rules during the offseason, the roster battles appear pretty clear. When the regular season begins, teams are permitted no more than 13 players classified as Experienced. Washington has 14, but one is pitcher Justin Edwards, who is coming off shoulder surgery and is no yet ready to pitch in a game.

As for the players classified as Rookies, teams must carry a minimum of 11 on the active roster. Washington currently has 19, so no more than eight can be released.

Judging simply by where players are listed on the roster, a backup middle infielder spot might come down to either Zack Stanton (Rookie) and Sean Allaire (Rookie). Rookie Joel Hartman is listed as an outfielder and played center field Thursday and Friday, but he can play the infield in a pinch. The best thing Hartman has going for him is he's a Rookie with experience who can play multiple positions.

It's likely that a rookie catcher will be on the roster when the season begins next week. That will be either Cal (Pa.) product Stephen Hermann or Greyson Schram.

There are only four Experienced pitchers (not a good sign), so there will be at least seven, and possibly eight, Rookie pitchers making the team. At least three Rookie pitchers will be cut.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Always Optimistic said...

Ernie Banks doesn't like to lose.
It will be a real challenge for him to control his temper with the make up of this team. I think it will be interesting to see at season's end who has a better winning percentage, the Things or the Pirates.
I predict the Pirates.

May 14, 2011 at 4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two players that won’t be cut are Ochoa and Banks. Ochoa has already informed us all how good he is, even though he has not proven anything yet, and Banks will probably tear CEP apart if the WT try to cut him again. I can just see Everson running his butt off trying to find a place to hide.

May 14, 2011 at 4:40 PM  
Blogger Chris Dugan said...

I'm a little confused by the comments about Ochoa.

In the story I wrote about him earlier this week, the only quotes from him that I used were:

"It was hard for me to find a job, so my wife found me one. She started sending out emails to teams that might be looking for a catcher. She contacted some teams in the Frontier League."

and

"He taught me a lot about catching."

and

"The manager here knows me, and knows that I'm not a trouble guy. I love to play baseball, and that's probably why he brought me here.

"While I'm here, I want baseball people to see that I can play each day and stay healthy. I've set some goals for myself, but I'm not going to worry about home runs. I want to hit .300, play good defense and win. Winning is why I play baseball. I hate losing."

Not sure how any of that translate into saying how good he is.

May 14, 2011 at 5:07 PM  
Blogger Swisscheda said...

Not sure how any of that translate into saying how good he is.

Probably because the infamous "regular" posters here love to spin things. It's not exactly a think-tank on this blog. Glad to see Ernie Banks back, he was a dominant hitter.

May 14, 2011 at 5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Boy, now we have the guy that thought we were all unable to understand what we saw at the ballpark
back again. Swiss-whatever, please tell us how to brush our teeth – PLEEEASE!
I suppose you work for the CIA, or some other semi intelligence agency now. Perhaps even NASA. I am so glad you are back to let us all know how stupid we all are. If course you are just brilliant.

May 14, 2011 at 7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Swisswhatever is right. Banks was, and probably will again be, the dominant hitter.
In a League that is notorious as a hitter’s paradise, Banks should not have a problem popping
the ball out of the park. IIRC, Banks was not exactly a gold glove candidate. Now that the Wild Things are playing on the ‘unmentionable’ (on this blog) substance, even he should improve his defensive numbers.
All that being said, Ernie has gotten nowhere in the past couple of seasons. Here he is having come full circle, back in the Frontier League. Ernie is his own biggest enemy. Until he learnes some self-control
he can expect to continue to languish in Indy leagues.

I note the rules for posting do no seem to apply to Swisswhatever, a.k.a. Dutch, as he was allowed to insult the, what he called “regulars” that post here as ” infamous”, implying the these guy’s are incapable of thinking. So, why is that allowed?
Maybe it’s because he is a Rhodes Scholar? You think that’s it? Huh? Duh……. Maybe it’s because he didn’t use the forbidden words.

May 15, 2011 at 10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home