Friday, April 22, 2011

Examining the roster

Spring training is less than two weeks away for the Wild Things – the season opener is 27 days from now – but their roster is far from set. Yes, this is a busy time for Frontier League managers and coaches as they scramble to sign players cut during minor-league spring training and released by other independent leagues. Teams also will be adding players from tryout camps, including the Frontier League tryout May 2-3 in Florence, Ky.

A check of the Wild Things' roster shows there are still spots that must be addressed before spring training begins. The most obvious is catcher, where only Blake Ochoa and Greyson Schram are on the roster. Billy O'Conner was placed on the suspended list last week. You can't go through spring training with only two catchers, so expect one or two more to be signed.

The same can be said for the outfield, where only four players are on the roster. Though some of the infielders have position flexibility (a Mike Tomlin term), here's thinking that at least one more outfielder will be signed for spring training, if only to make fewer infielders play out of position during intrasquad games.

One other spot that appears to be quite unsettled is starting pitcher. Judging by the quotes from manager Darin Everson in Wild Things press releases, many of the pitchers signed by Washington seem ticketed for bullpen duty.

Of the 20 players who had their options picked up in December, five were starting pitchers last year. Another, Jason Neitz, did not play last season but was a starting pitcher for Washington in 2009.

Of those six starting pitchers, I've heard that one (Billy Muldowney) won't be coming back, though you never know for sure who will and won't return until camp opens. I've seen guys be no-shows at camp, and at least one who wasn't expected to return arrive several days into camp (and woefully out of shape).

Another starting pitcher (Justin Edwards) is coming off shoulder surgery and won't be back until midseason. Two others (Zach Groh and Steve MacFarland) ended last year on the injured list and aren't even listed on the Wild Things' roster on the Frontier League's website.

The other starting pitcher is Jeff Sonnenberg, who developed into the staff ace last year.

It looks like the other starting options could be lefty Joe Rodriguez, who was selected in the Oakland County dispersal draft after making four starts for the Cruisers, and Sean Keeler, who had some starting experience (three games the last two years) in college at Franklin Pierce.

Depending on the status of MacFarland, Groh and Neitz, this could be a position the Wild Things are actively trying to address. My guess is there's a starting pitcher or two who Washington is waiting to receive a contract from in the next 10 days.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

With all the rain, does it really matter. Probably more important is buying a super vac!

April 23, 2011 at 4:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They won't need a super vac because artificial turf SUCKS!!!!
Ron Wilson

April 23, 2011 at 9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do any of those comments have to do with the wild things roster? Again, this blog gets hijacked by Ron Wilson and his agenda.

April 23, 2011 at 10:37 AM  
Anonymous Natural Grass said...

It has a lot to do with the roster.
On taxpayer turf your are more likely to get injured than on natural grass so you have to sign a player who will be durable and keep the phone number of late cuts because they will be needed because of injury.

April 23, 2011 at 11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought Ron's comment was funny.

April 23, 2011 at 12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Natural Grass...can you provide any scientific evidence to back up your claim? I would agree that the old "astroturf" led to more injuries, but I would love to read some facts that back your opinion...

April 24, 2011 at 12:19 PM  
Anonymous Natural Grass said...

You are right, I have no scientific evidence.
Therefore, lets assume that playing on taxpayer turf is like playing on cotton, so everyone will be accident free.
Hurray for taxpayer turf.

April 24, 2011 at 4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From today's O-R Headlines

"Pa. store robberies lead to heroin users in motel"

Hey tourist guy, where these guys at a motel because they were here to see the sights? Or, because they are druggies? That's way there are more, and more motels! They sure were not here to watch The Wild Things were they?

April 25, 2011 at 7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Correction:
Typed - That's way there are more, and more motels! Meant to type - Thats WHY there are more, and more motels!

April 25, 2011 at 7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

“I would agree that the old "astroturf" led to more injuries, but I would love to read some facts that back your opinion...”

I would like to hear what you think is going to happen. Do you feel it is going to be safer? If so, what is your reason for thinking it will be? How much practical experience do you have in the technology of synthetic surfaces?
I have almost no information about the latest advances in artificial playing surfaces. I do know that MLB has, for the most part, rejected the practice of installing such new surfaces in their ballparks. I doubt that there is not a good reason for that.
I certainly have to agree that Consol Energy Park looks really nice with the new surface. However, I still feel that the reasoning behind the decision to install it has NOTHING to do with baseball. It has been installed solely for the purpose of field utilization. I don’t give a darn about that because I don’t attend concerts, or other events at CEP.
I prefer to watch baseball played on the traditional surface – real grass. I seriously doubt many tourist will make a special effort to come to see it!
Also, I find it VERY curious that the manufacturer/installers just happen to be from this area. Probably just some sort of another ‘good ol’ boy kickback deal. If so, what’s new about that?
Ron Wilson

April 25, 2011 at 8:01 AM  
Anonymous Natural Grass said...

Headlines:
North Franklin Volunteer Fire Co"
Is called to:

1. Put out the fire on taxpayer turf that was caused by a cigarette at a concert.
2. To wash off the puke off the taxpayer turf.
3. To hose off the crowd caused by extreme heat given off by the taxpayer turf during a day game.

April 25, 2011 at 9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Headline:

"WEWJA is called to:

1. Clean up yet another pile of crap dumped at Consol Energy Park by Nat...ass.

2. Clean up puke caused by the ongoing meaningless drivel spewing forth ad nauseum from some oriface of Nat...ass.

April 25, 2011 at 1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ron...

I have no technical background in artificial turf surfaces, but it's good to see Natural Grass admit that what he is "preaching" has no scientific basis.

I do not proclaim the new surface to be "safer" or "more unsafe" than the old natural grass surface, but if I were a betting man, my money would be on the fact that the new surface is safer than the turd of a surface that it replaced!

I talked with a staff member during open house and he told me that there are no concerts currently scheduled for the ballpark this summer, so I'm not 100% sure that the artificial surface was chosen because of "other events". I was also told at open house that with the new surface, Cal U and Trinity will be able to use the surface for practice starting in the winter, so that sounds like a baseball use...Lord knows that if they were still on grass, they wouldn't be playing much baseball this spring.

In response to the installers being from Pittsburgh (and I shouldn't speak about things I don't know as facts), maybe, just maybe, they were the low bidder? I'll ask at my next visit to the ballpark.

In reference to why only 2 big league parks have artificial surfaces...after a quick Google search I found that both are in domed stadiums, and I think the Astrodome tried and failed miserably to grow grass inside about 40 years ago. I also assume that PNC Parks groundskeeping budget is probably more than the total operating budget of CEP.

Just sayin...

April 25, 2011 at 3:50 PM  
Blogger Chris Dugan said...

The Astrodome is why astroturf was invented (thus the name). When the Astrodome opened in 1965, they had transparent panels in the roof, but they made fly balls difficult to see. So the ceiling tiles were painted, but the grass died. This led to the invention of astroturf.

April 25, 2011 at 5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It’s funny how things get ‘turned’ or, should I say have a ‘spin’ put on them. I was told by a Wild Things staffer that the stadium was never intended to be used for baseball only. They told me it was to be used for many other “community events” as well. I don’t know exactly what that meant or, if perhaps the plan has changed to focus primarily on baseball.

I was also told that by a staff member that the artificial surface was more expensive to maintain than a grass surface. I agree with you 100 per cent that something had to be done about the old playing surface. However, I totally disagreed with the plastic grass solution – if it can be called that. I have heard rumors that Bill Lee has issued a directive that all Frontier League teams have a synthetic surface. I don’t know if there is an exact date on this, or what. To be honest, I don’t even know if that is even true.

My biggest complaint is the way it was handled, but we’ve been down that road for too long now. I accept the fact it’s here BUT, I don’t have to like it! I don’t like people telling me I’ll just have to “adjust” to the corrupt politics that seems to get involved. This entire thing never has passed the “smell test”. I will stop fighting for what I believe on the day I die. People can judge me in any way they choose but, they can never call be a quitter or as somebody the “goes along to get along”! I have my principles and the tourist industry folks in Washington County will NEVER force me to “adjust”.

I appreciate the fact that you offered a response to my post. You have shown that at least one person on this blog has the ability to carry on a civilized debate

Play Ball!
Ron Wilson

April 26, 2011 at 10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home