Tuesday, October 25, 2011

All-Decade Team

The 2012 schedule has been released, the new manager has been hired and the Frontier League's two new teams have been revealed. It seems the next season of Wild Things baseball is just around the corner.

Before we think too far ahead, let's spend some time looking back on Washington's 10 seasons in the Frontier League. A good place to start is with an all-decade team.

I've been mulling who should and shouldn't be on the all-decade team and what format such a list should take. I've decided on a 24-player team, though I'm not sure if it will have 10 or 11 pitchers.

When doing an all-decade team, one thing that is always tough to weight is years of service to the club. Is a player who spent two or three years in Washington with inconsistent results more deserving of being on the all-decade team than a player who spent one very good season with the Wild Things? And how do you factor in guys who were signed by major league affiliates after a half season or less with the Wild Things? They were obviously very good with Washington, but do they deserve to be on the all-decade team if they were here for only four weeks?

Any thoughts from the loyal blog readers?

Later this week I'll begin posting my all-decade team, one position at a time. We'll begin with the starting position players. First up will be first base.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Better question... Who should be my keeper players in my Fantasy Baseball: Pecos League pool? I feel like I have too many White Sands Pupfish and not enough Roswell Invaders. If you can clear this up for me, I would appreciate it. Thanks. Here's the link if you're interested in playing next year. http://www.pecosleague.com/pecosleague.asp?page=79

October 25, 2011 at 2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris SIdick-- legend for the wildthings, its a no brainer
Jacob Dempsey--amazing hitter--holds every power record for washington
Justin Edwards--- 2nd in the league in ERA this year and consistant pichter for 3 years in Washington gets my vote--

October 25, 2011 at 2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, who would be your All-Decade blog posters, official scorers, PA announcer, music operator, cookie server, buffet worker, mascot (Jason, duh), etc.?

October 25, 2011 at 7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think hard before you answer: There ain't gonna be any second decade all star team because ther won't be a team here by then. The end is in sight. I give them about three more years, at the very most.

October 25, 2011 at 8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The guy commenting at 8:13 must be the one who has predicted for years on here that the Wild Things will leave Washington in a year or two. Now it's up to three years. Next year it will be four. Sign of progress.

October 26, 2011 at 1:23 PM  
Anonymous U. R. Right said...

"I give them three more years, at the very most".

October 26, 2011 at 6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the one that has been predicting their demise and I hold to that.
Anybody that has been attending the 'advisory group' meetings should be able to see that things are not good. Of course, that is not what is being said but, reading between the lines, this seems to be a last ditch effort to save the organization.
If the plan works, everything will be fine - but, will the plan work?
Most of what I've heard would tend to keep me away rather than pique my interest. That's just me and perhaps others will embrace the idea. I hope it works for the sake of saving baseball here in Washington.
I know that Mr. Williams is putting his heart and soul, not to mention a lot of money, into this project and I will support it, albeit with some reservations.
Ima Fraid

October 27, 2011 at 9:48 AM  
Anonymous U. R. Right said...

The all decade closer should be Robert Garvin. Beside being a good pitcher, he is the only Wild Thing that got to say the F-word on live TV.
In the first year when, I believe 5 games were televised on Fox Sports, Teke went out to talk with Robert when he was struggling (Teke was miked) and Garvin said something like he had F-ing nothing on his pitches that night.

October 28, 2011 at 1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to U.R. Right, aka another Ron Wilson alias...cool story bro.

October 30, 2011 at 1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home