Thursday, June 12, 2014

Fast starts


The Wild Things are off to a 16-6 start, which you would think is the best record after 22 games in franchise history.

At least that's what I thought.

The Wild Things have typically been slow starters, even in the best of seasons. A check of the archives, however, shows that this is Washington's second-best 22-game record. Back in 2003 -- the second year for the Wild Things -- Washington had a 17-5 record under manager Jeff Isom. That team, which went on to finish second in the East Division with a 54-34 record (Chillicothe finished first at 54-31, playing three fewer games than Washington), started 17-5 and then lost three in a row and four of five, capped by a 17-inning home loss to Evansville.

Here are Washington's records after 22 games for each of its 13 seasons:

Year   W-L
2014: 16-6
2013: 14-8
2012:   9-13
2011: 10-12
2010:   8-14
2009:   7-15
2008: 10-12
2007: 14-8
2006: 11-11
2005: 13-9
2004: 12-10
2003: 17-5
2002: 11-11

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a long time season ticket holder I need to "blow off a little steam" As we were entering CEP yesterday (Sunday) for the game, a Security Guard approached me and my wife and wanted to check my wife's purse. I told him "NO" and walked away. I could see if the purse was large in size, and this purse just barely had enough room for her wallet and a cell phone. I am not in the habit of sneaking food or drink into CEP, and if we so desire we can afford to pay the outlandish prices for the concessions. I understand the need to sometimes search bags for contraband items, but wanting to search a women's purse that measured 6 inches by 6 inches is in my opinion unnecessary. Next time she will leave her purse in the car so we don't have to go through this again.

June 16, 2014 at 4:35 AM  
Blogger Chris Dugan said...

Anon 4:35, checking bags is all part of stadium operations these days. It's not unusual for me to enter a stadium/ballpark through a "press gate" then have a security guard make me open my computer bag, pull out the computer and actually boot the thing while he rifles through all the compartments in my bag.

If I have a media pass (often with my picture on it) hanging from a lanyard, am entering through he press gate and lugging a laptop, chances are I'm a reporter. I shouldn't have pull out the laptop and fire up the darn thing to prove as much, but that's standard operating procedure these days.

June 16, 2014 at 10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand that Chris. I have no problem with this rule to keep everyone safe. If that needs done, then all bags should be checked. I have seen people walk in with backpacks, giant purses, baby strollers jammed full of bags, and never be checked. If this stadium operation needs to be done, so be it. But to want to check a 6 inch x 6 inch clutch purse is ridiculous. Like I said in my previous post, the only things in there was small cell phone, small wallet, and if they must know what else, female hygiene items. next time she will keep her personnel items in her pockets, unless a strip search is next.

June 16, 2014 at 2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure it wasn't someone named Williams looking for some spare change?

June 16, 2014 at 6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home