Sunday, August 11, 2013

Rosa update

The Wild Things were hoping to have third baseman Jovan Rosa back in the lineup for this weekend against the Windy City ThunderBolts, but Washington manager Bart Zeller said that is unlikely to happen before Tuesday’s doubleheader at Lake Erie.

Rosa was injured in a collision with Normal catcher Alex San Juan in a game July 30. Rosa was on second base with two outs when Mark Samuelson singled to left field, and Rosa tried to score on the play.

“It was a weird play,” Rosa said. “When I hit him, my foot caught a little bit in the turf and my body went over my foot. I thought for sure that I had hurt me knee, but when I got up I realized it was my ankle that was hurt.”

Rosa was placed on the 7-day disabled list with a sprained ankle.

Playing his second season with Washington, Rosa has a .301 batting average (third highest on team) with 17 doubles. He was one of the Wild Things’ four representatives in last month’s Frontier League All-Star game.

The Wild Things want to get Rosa’s bat back in the lineup as they try to climb into serious playoff contention. Washington plays the finale of a three-game series at home against Windy City Monday night, then opens a four-game series Tuesday at Lake Erie. The first game (5:05 p.m.) will be the completion of a suspended game from Aug. 2. Lake Erie leads 2-1 in the third inning.

“Rosa is still day-to-day,” Washington manager Bart Zeller said Friday. “He will need another three or four days. We might use him as a DH at Lake Erie. When he originally hurt the ankle, we hoped he would be out only seven days. But it was a pretty bad sprain. He hasn’t even taken any ground balls yet during batting practice.”

Rosa said he’s only “60 percent” healthy and has been undergoing ice and electronic stimulation treatments along with balance exercises.

“The ankle is getting there, but it’s taking its sweet time. It feels better each day,” Rosa said.
“It’s frustrating. I want to be out there, but it’s not all about me. The team has been doing a good job of hanging in there. I hope I can help out.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home