Friday, March 23, 2012

More from Chris Sidick

Here is the link to the story in Friday's O-R about Chris Sidick being placed on the retired list:

Read the story here.

Here are a few comments from Sidick that didn't make the O-R story:

ON DEVELOPING AS A PLAYER: When I came out of college I was someone who had a good swing but I didn't know the first thing about the game of baseball. (Former manager) John Massarelli and even (former general manager) Ross Vecchio taught me when to hit the ball to certain places on the field, and why to hit the ball there. Those were the things I was focused on as a player. I was never focused on statistics.

ON PLAYING IN THE FRONTIER LEAGUE: Every single year it got better. There was a new stadium to play in each year, bigger crowds. ... I've heard all the horror stories from players who came from affiliated ball. They would lose a game 17-1 and a teammate would be happy because he went 3-for-4. All the players and coaches in this league have the same goal, and that's to win a championship. I had a blast playing for seven years. I was never playing for myself. Even though we never won a championship, we tried every game and gave it all we had each night. Everyone put their heart and soul into this.

One thing I'm proud of is we never took a game off. You can't because the competition in this league was so much better each year. When I first started out in the league, there were teams that couldn't bunt, that couldn't move runners over. By my last year, you just accepted that the team was going to advance the runner, and you hoping the pitcher could get out of the jam.

ON PREPARING FOR THE 2012 SEASON: I was behind. Usually, by this time of year, I'm a month into hitting. I'd be taking two one-hour rounds of batting practice each day for a month. I haven't taken any batting practice yet this year. And being 100 percent committed to training is something I was always taking seriously.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sidick says the object always was to win a championship. Now, to hear the WT management talk, the goal is to develop a players abilities to the point they can advance to affiliated ball! Which is it, develop or win a championship?? I think we all guess the true answer.
Also, Sidick makes some remarks about the attitude of players in affiliated ball. If that is a fact, then it sounds as if he thinks things a better in the Frontier League – really Chris? If that’s the case then the WT are not doing their players any service by helping them move to affiliated baseball.
No matter how hard one tries to boost the Frontier League, it’s still just the Frontier League, filled with
want-a-be affiliated players with below average skills.
WB

March 23, 2012 at 9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home