Sunday, June 23, 2013

Barnes: Trade was hurtful

Casey Barnes had planned for the Wild Things’ current series against the River City Rascals to be like any other three-game set in Washington.

Barnes, a pitcher who is in his third season in the Frontier League, planned to spend some time with his host family, his girlfriend and then go through his daily pregame preparation. And, of course, Barnes would spend a lot of time talking to fans at Consol Energy Park. After all, it’s the latter that earned him the moniker “The Mayor of Washington.” Barnes hasn’t met a person he couldn’t hold a conversation with for at least 20 minutes.

Yes, Barnes had it all planned.

That was eight months ago. Only one thing has changed since then. This weekend, Barnes is occupying the dugout on the opposite side of the field from the Wild Things.

You see, Barnes was traded from Washington to River City last November.

Washington sent Barnes, the Frontier League’s Rookie of the Year in 2011, and first baseman Michael Bando to the Rascals in exchange for first baseman Chris Andreas and relief pitchers Albert Ayala and Cory Caruso. Andreas retired during the offseason and River City replaced him in the trade with first baseman Corey LeVier.

The deal caught Barnes -- and Wild Things fans -- by surprise. Barnes, who had an 11-12 record in 32 career starts over two seasons with the Wild Things, stayed in Washington during the offseason and had planned to play a third season with the local team.

“I was very upset about being traded. It was very hurtful,” Barnes said prior Friday night’s series opener. “I was shocked. I thought I made a good, positive influence here. I felt like Washington was my home. My first year here was a good one. I got picked up by the (Philadelphia) Phillies, and after they let me go I decided to come back to Washington because I felt comfortable here.”

Barnes spent last offseason working with former Wild Things outfielder Chris Sidick at the latter’s C-Side Sports Academy and didn’t plan on relocating before the Frontier League season began.

“It was either work with Sid or go home. The thing I discovered is, working as a pitching coach there helped me as a pitcher,” Barnes said. “It really helped me with my stuff. My mental game has improved because of the things I thought to the kids.”

Barnes has a 2-1 record and 2.92 ERA in seven starts for River City. Of the four players acquired by Washington in the trade, none has played in a game with the Wild Things. Andreas retired during the offseason and Ayala was traded. LeVier and Caruso were released late in spring training. After being let go by Washington, Caruso recently returned to River City and has pitched in two games for the Rascals.

The trade is easily the worst and most unpopular in the Wild Things’ 12-year history.

Barnes’ last start was Wednesday night. He gave up one run over six innings and did not get a decision in River City’s 3-2 10-inning win over Rockford. Barnes is not scheduled to pitch against the Wild Things, but that didn’t prevent him from looking forward to the 11-hour bus trip from O’Fallon, Mo., to Washington.

“I was the only guy on the team looking forward to this trip,” Barnes said. “I would love to pitch in this series, especially against (former teammate) Gary Lee. That would have been fun. But I’m glad that I’ll be able to see my girlfriend, who is from Washington, and my former host family, the McLuckies. I’ve been looking forward to this trip for those reasons.”

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another one of Asst. General Manager "Wacky" Zavacky's brilliant moves. What a joke!

June 23, 2013 at 10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a poorly run franchise

June 24, 2013 at 3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home